I arrived! 21km or so. It was a tough slog, but I made it. The last few kilometres are always the worst, because you can *see* the town, but it is still a question of reaching it.
Dinner last night after Mass with some older Australians. They and the Italian man have been great support when things don´t seem to be going so well. No new blisters at least, but I do need to find some heel inserts for my shoes to take the pressure off my heels when walking, because it becomes almost unbearable by the end of the day. But when I take my pack off, they´re better.
I bought new boots in Logrono, and walking in them for the past three days, and they´re working great. I´ll be leaving my old boots behind here in Santo Domingo, as I´ve still been carrying them just until I´m sure that the new ones are good. And here in the hostels, there are often places to leave things and take things that others have left if you need them.
No Internet at the hostel again, but the hospitaleros (the volunteers who run the pilgrim hostels) pointed us down a block to the library where the Internet is for pilgrim use only. And oh - these hospitaleros are from Canada, so checking in and finding answers to questions was a lot easier than some occasions where I haven´t had the Spanish vocabulary necessary for a question and the hospitalero didn´t speak much English.
This hostel is wonderful - single beds for once, instead of bunk beds. I can´t remember the last time I slept in a bed that wasn´t a bunk bed (okay, I can, it was in Bayonne when I was staying with the Couchsurfer, but that was two weeks ago, so it has been awhile). Also blankets are available, so that helps with warmth on some colder nights.
Today I spent a bit of time walking with a Frenchman and his daughter, who couldn´t be more than twelve years old. In a combination of French and English, I learned that they have been walking 15-day stages (starting from the French Alps a few years ago) every year, and in next year´s stretch hope to reach Santiago. First child I´ve seen walking the Camino, and she seems to be holding up well.
Tomorrow - Belorado. Hasta luego!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You are doing fabulously well - growing stronger physically and mentally. Good for you for buying new boots. I need those heel things in mine as well. Also, I have an extra insole as well to take some of the "shock".
Is autumn there? I mean do the trees still have leaves or are they falling off. Are they colourful? Have the grapes been picked? What's the temperature like? I went for a long walk in the Cons, it was drizzling and cold enough for me to need mitts and a hat. All I could think of was you. It's supposed to snow tomorrow. Ugh. I'm still waiting for Indian Summer.
milestiba, buca, M
Post a Comment