Friday, October 17, 2008

Pamplona

I have arrived in Pamplona!

But I cheated. I took the bus from Larrasoana, where I stayed last night, because my feet still hurt a lot, and I have a cold. Tomorrow I am just doing 5km to Cizur Menor and resting some more.

So today consisted of hopping the bus to Pamplona, then waiting by the gate of the city, or elsewhere along the Camino route, to wait for other people that I knew. Eventually one of the Dutchmen and one of the Belgians I´ve been talking to arrived, and while the Belgian headed onwards to stay with the religious group he´s a part of, the Dutchman and I went to find the hostel, and were the first people to sign in.

Compared to the other hostels we´ve been to, this place is heavenly. Bunk beds that have guards on the top bunks so you don´t fall out, lots of showers and sinks, washing machines and dryers, and a kitchen, in which I will be cooking for some of us tonight.

Haven´t seen the Brits today since they set off. Maybe they continued on to Cizur Menor? They´d be here by now if they were staying here.

Packaged up a bunch of stuff to send home, will be dropping it by the post office on my way out tomorrow (Mamma un Papa: ataisiet kasti vala kad pienak, jo tur ari bus pastkartinas jums). Couldn´t find that much stuff to take out though.

No luck finding a place to call home from here, unfortunately. Maybe the next villages will have something.

That reminds me - I need to head out again, because I need light sandals, since my water shoes are way too heavy to carry.

Until later then!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it weird somehow that you can access the internet, but not a way to make an international call.

Antra said...

All of the pilgrim hostels I´ve encountered so far have computers (standard issue, it seems, since they´re all the same setup, same payment system, etc.) that can access the Internet, but they do not all have telephones for international calls. Some of the earlier ones did, but now I´m not seeing them. Maybe tomorrow´s will.

I have seen some payphones where you can use a credit card to call internationally, but based on my experience in Italy where a call like that ended up costing $150, I´d rather not repeat that.

I´ll find one eventually.