Sunday, October 19, 2008

Puenta La Reina!

Today was both painful and anticlimatic.

Felt awesome setting off. Spent much of the first part walking near the French guys I´ve known since the beginning, and a Korean girl who has much of the same problem that I did - too much stuff. Her pack is way heavier than mine was, and she is smaller than me, so I don´t know how she got up the Pyrenees with all that. But we all made it here, and I helped her carry the pack to the room from the reception area when she arrived.

Today also involved a mountain, but when I got to the top of it, it seemed anticlimatic compared to the Pyrenees, since it was only 500m and when I got to the top I felt I could keep going up.

But maybe that was a reaction to the fact that once I got to the top of it (where there were a huge row of electricity-generating wind turbines/windmills, so it was interesting to see them up close), I had to go all the way back down again. Going down is harder than going up, since it bumps your toes against the front of your boots, and when your toes are covered in blisters, this hurts. This part of the journey I spent more in the company of a older lady from New Zealand, an Australian girl, two other Korean girls and an Italian lady. I also ran into one of the men from the Netherlands that I´d met in Saint Jean Pied de Port, but who had stayed there an extra day to have a break (since he´d already been walking from the Netherlands).

Almost got lost just after Obanos, but found my way and eventually got here and checked in. Had a bit of a nap, and now it is time to find food.

Providing the restaurants in Puente La Reina are open today, I´d like to eat in one of them, since I´ve self-catered the past two days and I want a bit of a break from that. I´m hungry, so I should probably look into that soon, and pick up more granola bars, since I´ve exhausted my stash that I picked up in Barcelona. Some more of that mackerel in mustard wouldn´t be amiss either, but that and the granola bars may have to wait until tomorrow, since I don´t know if the shops are open on Sunday.

I will be signing off now. And this appears to be yet another albergue without a telephone, so seit es novelesu Nanai priecigu dzimsanas dienu, un daudzas bucas!

Ciao!

No comments: