Thursday, November 13, 2008

Sarria!

Got to Sarria today, taking the long road via Samos, so around 24km I think.

Along with hiding towns in little crevices that can´t even be called valleys, Spain also somehow manages to magically create mountains or hills out of thin air. You´ll be walking up one, and see the top, and then upon reaching the top, find that there is an even bigger mountain or hill behind it. Today was full of quite a few of those.

Sarria is an important place to reach, because it is the last major urban centre before Santiago de Compostela, and also the last big place from which someone could start the pilgrimage to qualify for the ¨Compostela¨ (certificate of completion of the pilgrimage), because you have to walk at least 100km to qualify, and Sarria is about 110km from Santiago.

I don´t really qualify to get a Compostela, because you have to have religious or spiritual reasons for doing the pilgrimage to do so, and I don´t really think that I do. But apparently there is an alternate certificate they grant to non-religiously-motivated pilgrims, so we´ll see what happens.

Hasta luego!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's really hitting us now - you are close to the end! WOW!! Are we ever impressed! We look at the map of Spain and see the huge distance you have covered.
And you have seen and experienced so much, already. What a journey.
We are proud,
bucas m un p un parejie