Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Arca!

Arrived in Arca today, 19km or so. Spent most of the walk chatting with the German guy I mentioned yesterday.

Now we are in a private pilgrim hostel here - more expensive, but so much nicer. It has Internet (unlike the public hostels run by the Galician government), and lots of space, and since most people seem to be going to the public one, it is quieter as well. There are only six of us here right now, but more people might come.

There is also a pastry shop across the street. This could be a problem, because I love Spanish pastries, and will eat them as often as I can. I´ll try not to be tempted too much today, but since I haven´t had a bocadillo (Spanish sandwich) today, I might get lured in by the chocolate eclairs and other assorted pastries.

Tomorrow - Santiago! About another 18km I think.

Mixed feelings on it - on the one hand, that means the Camino is over and I don´t have to carry my bag for 20km or so everyday. On the other hand, there comes the uncertainty of what comes next. I´ve arranged things with a Couchsurfer in Porto, but nothing is clear for the UK yet. Nor is what I will be doing between Thursday morning and Monday morning, when I leave for Porto. I will take the bus to Finisterre at some point, but I don´t know for how long I´ll stay there. I´m sure everything will work out.

Hasta luego!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow!! One more day. We think this was a profoundly spiritual journey. It takes great strength to do what you just did, to endure the physical pain day after day and mile after mile and the weather rainy day after rainy day. Go for the compestela, you've earned it.
Bucas p un m un parejie