Saturday, November 7, 2009

Belgium

I guess I last updated in Brussels?

Well, finishing off the Brussels adventure.... followed the Camino through Brussels, where the markings ended at a stone monument given to the city of Brussels by the province of Galicia (the province of Spain where Santiago de Compostela is found).

At my Couchsurfing host's, we also had a sushi party with some other friends, where we rolled our own sushi and then had chocolate-tasting for dessert (as well as ice cream).

Then it was on to Ghent, where I visited Saint Bavo's Cathedral, several other churches, the Castle of the Counts and went up in the Belfry. I had another great experience Couchsurfing where we had a fondue party. I love cheese fondue! And Ceaser salad. And of course more chocolate. In Ghent I also had the best chocolate milkshake ever, at a place called Quetzal: De Chocoladebar.

Now I'm in Bruges, where I have visited a bunch of different museums (another chocolate one of course, as well as one dedicated to fries), as well as the Basilica of the Holy Blood. Been having a good time Couchsurfing as well.

Today I went on a sort of daytrip from Bruges, which took the form of a 35km round-trip bicycle ride to Sluis in the Netherlands and back, passing through several small villages such as Hoeke, Damme and Oostkerke. In Hoeke, I happened to stumble across another Saint James church!

Now I am very tired from that long trip, so I will be happy to spend several hours relaxing on a train tomorrow on the way to Bremen. Germany awaits!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, you have certainly been busy and sounds like having a great time!
Are St.James churches uncommon? I know St.Peters are very common. The bicycle ride must have been quite an adventure!
Well, you're seeing a lot and the couchsurfing seems to have been a very positive experience. Oh, I would have loved that milkshake!
Let the journey continue!