I arrived in Edinburgh on Sunday, and set to work exploring right away!
Visited Canongate Kirkyard and Greyfriars Kirkyard, which were both interesting cemeteries. The former also had the grave of Adam Smith that I needed to visit.
Monday, I took the bus out to Rosslyn Chapel, and went for a stroll in Roslin Glen nearby. Both were very beautiful. The chapel was smaller than I thought it would be, but very intricately carved. Since they're doing restoration work right now, they had a walkway up where I could walk around the outside of the roof to see it close up, which was interesting.
Paid visits to several smaller free museums, including the Museum of Childhood, the People's Story and the Writer's Museum. The People's Story in particular showed a detailed view on the lives of the common people of Edinburgh throughout the past few centuries.
Monday evening, I went on a ghost walk that took us into the haunted vaults beneath the South Bridge, as well as back to Canongate Kirkyard and stories of bodysnatchers and cannibals.
Today I spent the morning in Edinburgh Castle, which was also the home to the Scottish Military Museum as well as two regimental museums. The castle was much bigger with more to explore than I thought.
Afterwards, I went to the Camera Obscura exhibit, which also had a variety of other displays relating to illusion, holograms, light and photography. Was also very interesting.
After that, I retrieved my baggage from the hostel where I spent two nights, and have now settled in with a Couchsurfer, where I shall be for the next two nights. She made a lovely dinner tonight, and tomorrow I will be making some variety of Mexican food for dinner.
During the day, I plan to visit the burial place of David Hume on Calton Hill, and take in the sights at the bottom end of the Royal Mile, including Holyrood Palace and such (only from the outside though, since it costs an arm and a leg to get in).
And Thursday it is off to Inverness!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Well, have you been busy!!! Leaves us positively breathless. Just imagine all that you've seen in such a short time! Good for you. Good planning!
It really sounds like you are thoroughly enjoying Edinburgh. Well, keep on enjoying and experiencing! Buca, M un P
Who is David Hume? And what is Holyrood Palace?
Inverness looks like a lovely place. Hope you enjoy your stay there. Please do blog some more.
Are you going to look for "Nessie"?
Buca, M
Post a Comment