So I've been busy working since the beginning of the month. I am at a small hotel (with bar and restaurant) in a remote part of northwestern Scotland.
My job title is that of "General Assistant" - which means that I clean the hotel rooms and serve people their food in the bar and restaurant (well, restaurant when it opens in the summer). One and a half days a week, I also work on the bar, serving people drinks and dealing with payments, when the regular bargirl has her day off.
It has been a lot to learn, but I'm getting there. The only jobs I don't know how to do are those of the chefs, which would actually be really useful at the moment, since things got thrown into chaos this afternoon when one of the chefs abruptly quit and is already on his way home. With him gone, the only people left of the seasonal staff are a Scottish girl, German guy and me. We will be joined by a girl from South Africa on the weekend, and quite possibly also an Australian girl.
The scenery here is beautiful - right on the edge of a sea loch, so I can watch the tides come in and out. Also surrounded by mountains. Kind of reminds me of the Pyrenees (complete with the sheep dung on walking paths!).
The weather is very unpredictable, and changes rapidly. Most days have had at least some precipitation (whether it be rain, hail, sleet or snow), I think there have only been three days without it since March 1. I've seen more hail than I ever have before. The winds can also be tremendous - no surprise that apparently this area is known for "horizontal rain"!
At any rate, I have some dishes to do here in the staff house, and then get ready for my evening bar shift. Ta for now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
So, exactly where are you? Does this place have a name??
It sounds beautiful. Maybe I would like to visit one day.
Horizontal rain - hmmmm.
Why does anyone even go there?
Post a Comment